The San Diego Branch of IDA attracts and provides professional expertise that supports parents, teachers, students, and others who are affected by dyslexia. The Branch raises awareness about dyslexia, offers training and technical assistance to the community, and makes appropriate service referrals. The Branch also serves as a point of connectivity that creates greater support for those who are affected by learning challenges.
What is Dyslexia?
“Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.”
Adopted by the IDA Board of Directors, Nov. 12, 2002. This Definition is also used by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD).
San Diego Branch of IDA Launches “Light Up Literacy” Fundraising Campaign
By: Christa Eilers
The San Diego Branch of the International Dyslexia Association recently launched its 2014-2015 fundraising campaign: “Light Up Literacy.” The campaign provides the following two unique opportunities to support the organization, help those with dyslexia, and build businesses’ exposure in the community:
- Sponsor SD/IDA’s biggest event of the year–the Social Event at the IDA Annual Reading, Literacy & Learning Conference. The event will take place at the San Diego Wine and Culinary Center on Thursday, November 13 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and is expected to draw over 200 attendees.
- Become a Business Member of the “Dyslexia Discount Card” Program–a card offering annual, mutually agreed upon savings to San Diego residents who have purchased the card.
Businesses becoming Social Event Sponsors or Business Members will receive certain of the following advertising, depending on the level of their support:
- Business name or logo featured on SD/IDA marketing materials for the November 2014 IDA national conference.
- Business information featured on SD/IDA newsletters reaching all members and affiliates.
- Business name listed as donor on SD/IDA website throughout the year.
- Business contact information and website link listed on SD/IDA website.
- Business logo positioned to SD/IDA website.
- Plaque identifying SD/IDA sponsorship for display.
- Business name/logo displayed on banner at the 2014 IDA national conference.
For more information on becoming a Social Event Sponsor or a Business Member, contact SD/IDA at firstname.lastname@example.org or (619) 295-3722. And, thank you, for helping us Light Up Literacy!